A hair spa treatment may help with everything from frizziness to dandruff removal. Hair spas are beneficial for every hair type and are highly recommended to hydrate and cleanse your hair every few weeks. We all detest frizzy hair, and the most effective approach to restoring damaged hair is a hair spa treatment. A soothing natural hair spa at home involves a head massage to help enhance blood flow to your scalp. It also infuses required nutrients to your hair strands, which help hydrate your hair, leaving it looking soft and frizz-free.
5 steps to follow for a hair spa at home
Here is the breakdown of hair spa procedures to give you more understanding of the entire process:
1. Massage your hair and scalp with oil
This is one of the most important hair spa steps. Start with a basic oil massage to nourish your hair while stimulating blood flow and improving circulation in your scalp. If you like, you may heat the oil slightly and do a hot oil massage. Take around 1-2 teaspoons of heated oil in your palms and carefully massage it from root to tip. Your choice of oil is influenced by your hair type and any hair issues you may have. Cold-pressed oils are strongly recommended because they contain vital antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals normally lost during extraction.
This step of the hair spa process is similar to a facial, except that the steam is focused on your hair. This helps the pores on your scalp expand, allowing the oil previously applied to your scalp to be absorbed.
3. Shampoo hair to wash out the oil
It is time to wash your hair and rinse it. It is strongly advised to use a Sulfate-free shampoo, which effectively cleanses your hair from within without depriving it of its natural moisture. When shopping for shampoo, avoid compounds like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). With shampoos, less is more, so dilute it with water, rinse, and repeat! A clean shampoo may not foam much, but it properly washes and moisturizes your hair.
4. Deep condition with hair spa cream
This step of the hair spa process will help you understand how to use hair spa cream at home. A hair mask is also known as an intense conditioner or a deep conditioning treatment because it has a high concentration of active substances that are particularly useful after extended contact and allow nutrients to absorb and work their magic. For optimum results, leave the mask for 20-30 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm/cold water.
There are many hair spa creams available on the market. Some of the best hair spa creams for hair spa treatment are as follows:
- Schwarzkopf BC Bonacure
- Wella Brilliance Treatment for Colored Hair
- The Body Shop Rainforest Radiance Hair Butter
- Wella Enrich Moisturizing Treatment
- Schwarzkopf Spa Essence Hydrating Cream Masque
- Wella System Professional Hydrate Dry Hair Mask
- L’Oréal Total Repair 5 Hair Masque
5. Final rinse
Wash the mask off by gently rinsing your hair with warm water. After that, apply the conditioner and rinse it away. Follow up with conditioner, then rinse the conditioner out. If you like to give your hair more care, you should always go for deep conditioning. This is essentially to rehydrate and strengthen your hair. There are several products for deep conditioning available online or in the shops. You can pick any of these products. Make sure you cover your hair with a shower cap after applying conditioner. Wait for around 10 minutes. There are a few deep conditioning products that need the use of a blow-dryer. So, follow the given instructions properly. Wash thoroughly after the mentioned time.
Home remedies for hair spa
Here are some homemade hair spa treatments that can be easily made at home using some of our daily use kitchen ingredients. You can follow the steps and make hair spa cream at home if you wish to avoid buying hair products.
1. Avocado & Honey
This hair spa treatment is ideal for moisturizing and softening frizzy and damaged hair. We all know avocados are high in omega-3 fatty acids. They also contain amino acids. These two acids make avocados a wonderful component for moisturizing and boosting the texture of your hair. Honey is a great natural conditioner that can help to rejuvenate damaged hair.
How to make this mask?
- Peel two avocados (the number depends on your hair’s length and thickness) and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Mix them with honey until it becomes a smooth, creamy paste.
- Apply this paste properly to your hair.
- Once applied, use steam for approximately 10 minutes.
- Keep it on for 20 more minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to wash with a mild shampoo.
2. Coconut cream
Coconut cream contains fatty acids, vitamins like E, C, B1, and B6, and minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and selenium. If your hair is damaged due to UV rays and heat, this hair spa treatment is definitely for you. The coconut oil in this mask also improves the condition of your hair.
How to make this mask?
- Put coconut cream (approximately half a cup) in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Steam for 10 minutes, then leave for another 10 minutes.
- Next, apply the coconut cream thoroughly and let it stand for a minimum of an hour.
- Wash with water and use a gentle shampoo.
If you have dull and lifeless hair, washing with beer is an excellent technique to regain the shine. Chemicals present in beer can help in toning and mattifying a greasy scalp, giving your hair life. Beer’s yeast component helps to smooth rough and dull hair as well.
How to make this mask?
- Take a glass bowl and pour the contents of a bottle of beer.
- Let it sit overnight to allow the beer to flatten.
- Steam your hair in the morning and wash it with a soft shampoo.
- Don’t use conditioner; bathe your hair with the beer and massage for a few minutes.
- Once done, rinse with cold water.
The cucumber hair mask is a refreshing and soothing hair spa component that is suitable for all hair kinds.
Cucumber contains sulfur and silicon, which relieve scratchy and irritated scalps. It also provides nutrients to dry hair. Cucumber can also help stop hair loss and promote new growth.
How to make this mask?
- To make the mask, use finely sliced cucumber and olive oil and blend these to create a soft, foamy paste.
- Steam for 10 minutes, then allow it to stand for another 10 minutes.
- Apply the paste thoroughly to your hair and scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water and gentle shampoo to clean.
So, these are a few ways how to do hair spa at home. However, following all these steps properly is not an easy task. And this is why we prefer visiting salons and getting it done by professionals. But what if you can get all of these hair spas at home? Especially after a long tiring day, getting a good hair massage and hair spa not only improves our hair quality but leaves our minds refreshed.
MyGate is India’s largest apartment management app, benefiting thousands of housing societies, developers, society facility managers, and millions of homeowners in every Indian city.