- What is a gated community?
- What are the advantages of a gated community?
- What are the disadvantages of a gated complex?
- Comparison between individual buildings and gated apartments
- Here are a few tips to help you buy a house in a gated community in India
- About MyGate
Whether you are planning to buy your first house or thinking of moving to a new apartment, a gated society is always favored by most of us. Gated apartments are available in every city in India, be it Bangalore, Delhi, Pune, or Kolkata. It is prevalent that gated community apartments have become the trend now, not only in India but worldwide. However, there are different views on why these walled colonies are so popular among home buyers worldwide, especially in India, where cost is the most important factor in property purchase decisions.
Why is every millennial today looking at staying in a gated community in India? Well, buying a home is one of the biggest achievements of our lives. None of us wants to compromise the security and safety of our loved ones. Also, all of us wish to live a peaceful and comfortable life with all amenities within the apartment premises. A gated colony is usually walled and maintained with 24X7 security services, which provides us with a sense of safety. Also, gated complexes come with basic to luxurious amenities like CCTV surveillance, a gym or swimming pool, maintenance and power backup, etc.
What is a gated community?
A gated community, meaning a residential complex walled and restricted by a specific area, has gates and boundary walls that specify the geographic area of these housing complexes. Entry to these gated complexes is restricted, and apart from the residents, anyone else who wishes to enter would require permission. These gated colonies can be of different sizes depending on the number of apartments or houses and the area it is spread across. Gated societies have low-density living, meaning there are fewer apartments in a large area. There are various types of gate communities in India; affordable or luxurious, high-rise or low-rise, low-density or high-density, etc.
What are the advantages of a gated community?
Multiple advantages come with choosing gated apartments as your home. Here are a few of them:
1. Safety & security
The greatest advantage of living in a gated community is the prospect of having a higher sense of security. This is especially important for families with kids. We all want our children to grow up in a safe and secure environment. These gated apartments have 24X7 security, CCTV surveillance, and security guards, making it a prime reason for house owners to go for a gated community.
2. Community living
In today’s world, most of us live in a metro city away from our loved ones. Nuclear families are quite common nowadays, and sometimes this can also be a problem. When you decide to stay in a society, you tend to meet or run into the same folks daily. This helps in starting communication with them and brings a community living environment. This is also helpful for children or parents as they can spend time with people from their age group while busy at the office.
3. Luxury and comfort
While not all gated apartments have luxurious amenities and facilities, comfort is guaranteed. Most gated societies provide the infrastructure that helps in improving your lifestyle. 24X7 security, parks, parking, power backup, and well-maintained walking paths are some of the most common facilities you can get in a gated colony. If you wish to avail more luxurious features, there are gated societies with swimming pools, gyms, clubhouses, movie theaters, schools, and much more.
4. Green environment
Living in a metro city means living in a polluted environment. However, most gated communities have designated green spaces like a park or a vast green lawn. These open green spaces around your house ensure you can get some fresh, clean air. While these sprawling green areas close to your home soothes your mind and eyes, the other advantage is you can reduce your carbon footprint while living in a gated society. Most of these complexes have grocery stores or other required stores inside the complex, so you don’t need to get your bike or car often for your everyday shopping needs.
5. Better ROI
Gated apartments give a better result if you are purchasing a house that we would like to sell later or put on rent. It will be easier for you to find a buyer, especially if you choose a gated complex with a reputable builder. Also, if the gated society is located in a development zone, the rental and selling price will definitely increase in the future. This will allow you to sell it for a good profit or earn a good rental.
What are the disadvantages of a gated complex?
While there are many advantages of gated community living, here are a few of the disadvantages of staying in a gated complex:
- Gated communities are usually costlier than individual buildings, like standalone houses or builder floors.
- Gated communities also have higher maintenance charges than standalone buildings.
- Every time a visitor comes to your house, you must permit entry.
- Gated complexes are sometimes difficult to find in your preferred area, as they require more land for construction.
- Gated societies are sometimes located on the outskirts of a city, which increases the travel time to work for the residents.
Comparison between individual buildings and gated apartments
Choosing between a standalone house or a gated community completely depends on your requirements and priorities. While buying a house in a gated community is expensive compared to a builder’s floor house, the amenities and security that come with gated apartments are important factors to look at. If you are on a tight budget and willing to compromise on comfort or luxury, an individual house is a good choice. You will be able to save a lot of money both in terms of buying price and long-term expenses like maintenance. However, a gated community will be the right choice if you wish to have a luxurious life with all amenities within your society. A gated community makes a more profitable choice for home buyers looking for a house for investment purposes.
Here are a few tips to help you buy a house in a gated community in India
Before you decide to invest in a house gated complex, it is important to look at various pros and cons of buying a house in a gated society. Here are a few things you should consider:
- Choose an apartment in the middle of the complex, especially if you are going for a large gated society. This will reduce travel time to the entry or exit gates or the market complex.
- Pick a trusted builder as it will help in the long-term and provide you a better construction.
- Evaluate your financial situation before buying a house in society. Gated complexes also have monthly maintenance charges, so it is advisable to get a clear understanding beforehand.
- Check the neighborhood properly as gated societies are usually located outside the city, which makes it unsafe sometimes. Though you will have security inside the complex, checking the approach road to the gated society and the distance from your workplace is important.
- Check the gated community laws if you are a bachelor and looking for a carefree lifestyle. Most gated societies are designed for families, and there are rules to be followed while living in these societies.
Learn about housing society swimming pool rules here.
MyGate is India’s largest housing society maintenance software, benefiting thousands of housing societies, developers, society facility managers, and millions of homeowners in every Indian city.