- Benefits of cleaning your bathroom with vinegar
- How to make cleaning solutions with vinegar
- Cleaning bathroom with vinegar: a guide
- How to get rid of bathroom odours using vinegar
- Cons of cleaning bathroom with vinegar
- Things to consider while learning how to clean the bathroom with vinegar
- Final takeaway
- About MyGate
There are many reasons to keep your bathroom clean. A dirty bathroom is a breeding ground for bacteria and germs. These can cause skin infections and other health problems. Additionally, a messy bathroom can be unsightly and embarrassing.
Cleaning the toilet can be challenging if the space is cluttered with toiletries, cosmetics, and cleaning supplies. By taking the time to clean your bathroom regularly and correctly, you can help protect your health and maintain a neat space. This article will discuss how to clean your bathroom with vinegar, one of the most effective natural cleansing agents.
You might be wondering why to clean a bathroom with vinegar. It is excellent for breaking down soap scum and hard water stains, making your bathroom sparkle in no time. These are just a few benefits of vinegar; up next, we have listed some more:
Benefits of cleaning your bathroom with vinegar
There are many reasons you should consider switching to vinegar from your regular bathroom cleaning chemicals. Here are some common ones:
- You can use vinegar to clean all surfaces in the bathroom, including the toilet, sink, countertops, shower and bathtub. Thus, it is very versatile, and you don’t need different types of cleaning agents for different surfaces.
- Vinegar can kill most bacteria or germs. It alters their chemical compositions and breaks down the proteins and fats that make up their cell structure.
- It is a natural deodorant and will eliminate any bad smells. This is an added advantage of using vinegar to clean. You also won’t need to invest in expensive bathroom air fresheners.
- It is an affordable alternative to other cleaners. You are likely to find it in your kitchen itself. Thus, you don’t have to spend anything over your regular utility budget.
- Vinegar is non-toxic. It is made from grapes or apples, so it is a natural product safe for use around the home. This is especially important for people with children or the elderly at home. With harmful chemical cleaners, they are more at risk of an accident. That is not the case with vinegar.
- It is environmentally friendly and biodegradable. Vinegar degrades easily, unlike chemicals that do not dissolve and accumulate in your drains. Thus, you will be contributing to the environment by switching to vinegar.
- Taps are steel, which isn’t a metal you can clean very easily. If you use harsh chemicals, it will blacken the steel surface permanently. But vinegar is a strong natural cleaning agent that does the job very well without harming the surface. It can easily remove white water residual on tap, leaving them as good as new. It can also kill bacteria and germs that may be lurking on the taps.
How to make cleaning solutions with vinegar
Vinegar needs to be mixed with different substances to form a cleaning solution for different surfaces. A 50:50 mixture of vinegar and waterworks for most surfaces. But places like tubs, tiles, and toilets require you to mix it with baking soda or another strong alkali. Mixing vinegar with salt can help clean glass stains. You can also add acids like a spirit or lemon juice to clean hard surfaces like shower panels. If you want to remove bad odour, you can add a few drops of essential oils or fragrances to the mix.
Cleaning bathroom with vinegar: a guide
A bathroom has several places which need regular cleaning. Things like taps, showers, tiles, and drains are used frequently. That’s why they easily accumulate dust, grime, and bacteria. Let’s learn how to clean the bathroom with vinegar in different ways.
1. How to clean bathroom taps with vinegar
Vinegar works well with steel taps and knobs because of its soft cleaning nature. Here’s how you can use it to clean taps in your bathroom:
- Pour some vinegar into a bowl. Do not dilute it with water.
- Soak a cloth in the vinegar and then wring it out to not be too wet. A microfiber cloth is preferred for this job.
- Now gently wipe the taps with the vinegar-soaked cloth. Apply pressure where you see more build-up of grime or stains.
- Now buff the taps with a dry cloth to give them a shine.
2. How to clean bathroom floor with vinegar
- Bathroom floor is used frequently and carries all kinds of germs and stains. Learn how to keep your bathroom floor shining with vinegar:
- Pour vinegar into a bucket.
- Dip a mop into the vinegar and wring it.
- Mop the floor, making sure you reach all the dirt and grime.
- Rinse the floor with water and dry it off with a towel or clean cloth.
3. How to clean bathroom tiles with vinegar
Tiles can be one of the hardest surfaces in the bathroom to clean. The dirt accumulated in the joints of tiles can’t be scrubbed off easily with regular cleaners. Here’s how to clean your tiles properly with vinegar:
- Pour enough vinegar onto the tile floor to get it drenched.
- Use a brush or mop to scrub the tile and grout lines. This will create tension between the floor and the grime. And it will detach itself from the tile.
- Let the vinegar sit on the tile for a few minutes to break down the rest of the grime.
- Rinse the tile with water and dry it off with a clean cloth or towel.
- Repeat as you find it necessary.
4. How to clean showerhead with vinegar
Your showerhead might be dotted with water stains and mould if left unattended. Vinegar can help remove these stains and keep the showerhead clean. Here’s how:
- Carefully remove the shower from the hose.
- Now take a plastic bag and pour vinegar to fill half of it.
- Take the showerhead, gently place it in the bag, and tie it up. Let it sit overnight.
- The next morning, re-attach the showerhead to the hose and run the shower for 5-10 minutes. The shower will get cleaned, and any bad odour will also vanish.
5. How to clean bathroom mirror with vinegar
Water streaks and stains on mirrors are very persistent and equally annoying. Here’s how to clean your bathroom mirror with vinegar:
- Take an empty spray bottle and mix vinegar and water in it in a 50:50 ratio.
- Spray the solution on the mirror and gently wipe it clean.
- Now use a cloth soaked in water to remove the vinegar solution
- Now wipe clean with a dry cotton cloth.
This process may take a little longer than using a commercial cleaner, but it’s worth it to know that you’re not exposing yourself and your family to any harmful chemicals. Vinegar is a natural and safe alternative that easily gets the job done. Be sure to rinse the tile well afterwards to remove any vinegar residue. For best results, use a vinegar solution that is diluted with water. Enjoy a clean and sparkling bathroom.
How to get rid of bathroom odours using vinegar
Bathroom odours are another nuisance that you might have to tackle. So here’s a step-by-step guide on how to remove bathroom odours with vinegar:
- To get rid of bathroom odours with vinegar, start pouring vinegar into a bowl.
- Place the bowl in the bathroom. The vinegar will absorb the odours. Alternatively, you can pour vinegar into a spray bottle and spritz it in the toilet after each use.
- Let the bowl sit in the bathroom overnight. Vinegar is a natural deodorizer that will leave your bathroom smelling fresh and clean. Give it a try!
- Remember to always wipe down surfaces after using the bathroom. This will help prevent dirt and grime from building up over time. After each use, wipe down the toilet, sink, and countertop, and sweep or mop the floor as needed.
Removing the odour is important while learning how to clean the bathroom with vinegar.
Cons of cleaning bathroom with vinegar
Although vinegar is an excellent cleaning agent, there are some cons you must consider before you switch to vinegar. This is good to know as you learn how to clean the bathroom with vinegar. One potential disadvantage of using vinegar is that it can be challenging to remove all vinegar residues once the cleaning is complete. Additionally, vinegar can be acidic and cause damage to the tiles over time if used frequently. Lastly, vinegar can be smelly, so it may not be a desirable option for those who don’t like the smell of vinegar. It may give you a feeling of nausea. However, you can counter this con by mixing vinegar with natural ingredients like lemon.
Things to consider while learning how to clean the bathroom with vinegar
As with any chemical cleaner, we should take precautions when using vinegar in the bathroom. The cautions which we need to take while cleaning the bathroom with vinegar are:
- We should avoid using vinegar on marble surfaces, as it can etch the surface.
- Vinegar can also discolour some surfaces, so we should test it in a small, inconspicuous area before using it on main surfaces.
- We should never mix vinegar with bleach, which can create a dangerous gas.
- Vinegar is a strong acid and can cause skin irritation if it comes into contact with skin, so we should wear gloves when using it. We should also avoid getting it in our eyes.
- If we use vinegar to clean drains, we should make sure that the vinegar is diluted with water, as undiluted vinegar can be harmful to plants. We should also avoid using vinegar to clean toilets, as it can cause the bathroom to become discoloured.
- We should rinse the surfaces we have cleaned with vinegar well, as the vinegar can leave a residue behind.
It is essential to be aware of these cautions, as vinegar is a powerful cleaner and can cause damage if it is not used correctly. However, vinegar can be an effective and affordable way to clean surfaces in the bathroom when used correctly.
The bathroom is one of the most-used rooms in the house. It’s also a place where grime and dirt can build up over time, making it difficult to keep clean. This is where vinegar comes in handy.
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant that can help kill bacteria and germs, making it an ideal cleaning agent for the bathroom. Not only is vinegar effective at removing dirt and grime, but it’s also affordable and environmentally friendly. So if you’re looking for a safe and effective way to clean your bathroom, consider using vinegar.
Even if you’ve learned how to clean the bathroom with vinegar, don’t be afraid to ask for help if needed. There’s no shame in admitting that you can’t do it all by yourself. Friends or family members may be happy to lend a hand from time to time, and with the help of vinegar, it will get so easy for any of you.
MyGate is India’s largest housing society management system, benefiting thousands of housing societies, developers, society facility managers, and millions of homeowners in every Indian city.