Delhi, officially the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi, is an Indian city and union territory that includes New Delhi, the country’s capital. Delhi shares borders with the states of Uttar Pradesh in the east and Haryana in the remaining directions, straddling the Yamuna river, primarily on its western or right bank. The NCT has a total area of 1,484 square kilometres (573 sq mi).
The city is home to numerous monuments, prestigious educational institutions, high-rise skyscrapers, world-class medical facilities, and mouth-watering cuisine. In addition, top politicians and bureaucrats reside in this lovely city.
Here is the list of the best 16 posh residential areas of Delhi.
1. Prithviraj Road
Prithviraj Road is a tree-lined trail lined with luxurious bungalows owned by prominent figures such as L.K Advani, Atul Punj (chairman of Punj Lloyd Group), Renuka Talwar (daughter of DLF chairman KP Singh), RP Goenka, Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor and her husband Anand Ahuja, and many more. Furthermore, it is surrounded by embassies from Spain, Venezuela, and Mexico, making Prithviraj Road one of Delhi’s most affluent neighbourhoods.
Another factor that makes this road a top residential area in Delhi is the presence of shopping centres such as Santushti Complex and Khan Market. One of Delhi’s most exclusive neighbourhoods, the houses here are exorbitantly priced and will leave you speechless.
- Best Restaurants: Mealability The Flavor of Kashmir, Pickwick, Chor Bizarre, Sevilla, Kothi No 1, Varq.
- Best cafes: Banvari Tea Stall, Coffee Lounge IIC Level 1, Perch Wine & Coffee Bar, Bloom Cafe and Cakery.
- Average Property Price: INR 80,962 per sq-ft.
2. Jor Bagh
Jor Bagh, a most posh area in south Delhi, is close to Safdarjung Tomb and is served by the Jor Bagh Metro Station. Its proximity to lifestyle avenues such as malls, connectivity to other strategic locations and historic monuments, and overall liveability index place it among the top ten most expensive areas to live in Delhi.
- Best Restaurants: Veer Jee Restaurant, Grden Chef, Chicken Point, Verma’s, Biryani Behtareen,
- Best cafes: NDMC stall Coffee Shop (Sunny Shop), Ping’s Cafe Orient, Carnatic Cafe, Starbucks Coffee.
- Average Property Price: INR 73,075 per sq-ft.
3. Defense Colony
Defence Colony, also known as Def Col by locals, is located in the heart of Delhi. The neighbourhood is one of the wealthiest in Delhi and is considered a posh area. The seamless metro connectivity, easy access to hospitals, public transportation, and all the facilities required to maintain a quality lifestyle make this neighbourhood a popular choice among home buyers.
- Best Restaurants: The Turkey Project, BLAQ- A Coqtail Affair, Ek Bar, Underpass, Behrouz Biryani, 28 Capri Italy, Aka Saka, Sagar Ratna, Swagath, Moets Sizzlers, Moet’s Shack,
- Best cafes: Meraki Cafe & Bar, Chai Point, Oak Cafe & Bar, Cafe Yell, Defence Bakery, Amici Cafe, Arabian Delites, Moet’s Sizzlers, Uncle Tango, Aku’s – The Burger Co., L’Opéra.
- Average Property Price: INR 33,875 per sq-ft.
4. Model Town
Despite the fact that the majority of Delhi’s posh areas are in South Delhi. However, ongoing real estate development and investment by real estate developers has allowed several North and West Delhi neighbourhoods to thrive. Model Town in North Delhi is one such affluent neighbourhood.
Model Town is a posh neighbourhood in North Delhi with significant historical significance. The DLF Group developed this locality in Delhi in the early 1950s, and it became the city’s first affluent neighbourhood after independence. Model Town in Delhi is home to several luxurious duplexes and flats that appeal to homebuyers.
- Best Restaurants: Grand Plaza, Angel Walk, Tasty Noodle Twist, Linx, Chache Di Hatti, Eating Corner, Hot Pot, Penta Cafeteria, The Dragon Hucks, Nut Khut Caterers, The Host, Sahni Fish Corner.
- Best cafes: Cubano Cafe, The Model Town Cafe, BARISTA Coffee Shop, Masson’s.
- Average Property Price: INR 17,666 per sq-ft.
5. New Friends Colony
New Friends is one of South Delhi’s most prosperous and wealthy neighbourhoods. The neighbourhood is divided into two sections: East and West, where property prices are sky high and the crowd is super elite, housing some of Delhi’s oldest residents. It is home to one of the capital’s oldest luxury hotels, The Surya, as well as a lively community market with some of the city’s favourite restaurants, pubs, and casual eateries that never fail to impress, as well as the well-known New Friends Club, which is still an eminent spot in the capital.
- Best Restaurants: Sampan, Barbeque Nation, Lotus Pond, Upgrade Kitchen & Bar, Ssence, Kalamata, Atrium Bar & Lounge, Sticky Rice, In-Q, Camillos, French Crust, Little Istanbul by Nazeer, Onyx Bar, Rampur Kitchen.
- Best cafes: Chargrill Pizza Cafe, Deli Bombay Cafe & Delicatessen, Theobroma, Stories By Bhai G, Cafe Coffee Day, Blue Tokai Coffee.
- Average Property Price: INR 17,771 per sq-ft.
6. Panchsheel Park
Panchsheel Park, another coveted residential area for the city’s rich and famous, is located on Delhi’s Outer Ring Road. Panchsheel Enclave is to the east, Hauz Khas is to the west, Asian Games Village is to the north, and Malviya Nagar is to the south. This residential development also includes the Panchsheel Club, which includes a terrace garden, poolside café, senior citizen’s lounge, party hall, and other amenities. This upscale neighbourhood in Delhi features bungalows, individual houses, and independent floors. It is home to a number of diplomats, retired politicians, bureaucrats, and other high-ranking officials.
- Best Restaurants: U Kitchen, Aalis Kathi Kabab, Kake Da Hotel, Golden Dragon, Pepper Corn Express, GoGourmet, Addicted- Freshly Baked, Imly, Tamarind, KLEO, Udman By Ferns & Petal.
- Best cafes: The Brown Box, Suribachi Cafe, Cafe Rendezvous, Café Desmo, Imly Affair.
- Average Property Price: INR 20,624 per sq-ft.
7. Greater Kailash
It is one of the most expensive areas in Delhi. The locality, also known as GK, is divided into two parts: Part 1 and Part 2. Greater Kailash is home to not only celebrities and politicians, but also some of the most prominent retail brands. The neighbourhood receives a 9/10 for liveability, with numerous healthcare facilities, schools, and other amenities nearby.
- Best Restaurants: mamas Buoi Courtyard, YOU MEE, Mensho Tokyo, Madam Chutney, Deja Brew, In The Punjab, Bella Ciao, Uber Lounge, Truth Restro Bar, FatJar Cafe & Market, Oh! Calcutta, The Big Chill, The Chatter House, Empress of China, Royal China, Blooms, Singh Sahib, Epicuria, House Of Tigers, Elation, Bercos, Gastronomica, Moti Mahal Deluxe, Londoners, Nostalgia Blues Bar & Grill, Kori’s,
- Best cafes: Laidback Cafe, HOP House OF Proteins, The Potbelly Rooftop Cafe, Sakley’s – The Mountain Cafe, Roadhouse Cafe, Music & Mountains – Hillside Cafe, Cafe Culture, The Salad Story, Doner Grill, Greenr Cafe, Coffee Bond, Mad Over Donuts, Whiz Cafe, Chungwa.
- Average Property Price: INR 24,374 per sq-ft.
8. Shanti Niketan
Shanti Niketan, formerly an exclusive housing colony for government officials, is now a sought-after address. Considered one of Delhi’s posh areas, its strategic location near other high-end localities such as Chanakyapuri and even Vasant Vihar has added to its allure. The liveability index is undeniably high, with top business leaders favouring it.
- Best Restaurants: Swami Dosai, Art of Masala, The Mint, Ada-E-Handi, Big Yellow Door.
- Best cafes: South Side Cafe, Cafe Diaries.
- Average Property Price: INR 49,157 per sq-ft.
9. Vasant Vihar
Vasant Vihar is a posh neighbourhood in Delhi located near the IGI airport. It is home to famous celebrities, business tycoons, and wealthy families. Perhaps they take their private jets directly from their garage to the airport.
It also had the first-ever PVR theatre, which is located in Vasant Vihar’s iconic Priya market. With several restaurants and places to hang out, as well as prestigious college campuses like IIT Delhi, JNU, and DU South campus nearby, it is one of Delhi’s most popular locations.
- Best Restaurants: Cascades, Purple Greene – Global Gourmet, Roasted by Roseate at Vasant Kunj, Monkey Bar Delhi, Chili’s Grill & Bar, Barbeque Nation, Punjabi by Nature, Jamie’s Italian, Caraway, Smoke House Deli, Cha Shi, Kino Ba, Ano Tai, FCO, Miss Pinto, Krips Restaurant, The Golden Dragon, The Asia Kitchen, Big Wong XL,
- Best cafes: Cafe E, Big Chill, Cafe Resto, Greenr Cafe, The Chocolate Room, Salad Chef, The Pint Room, Cafe E, Fabcafe by Fabindia, Costa Coffee, The Bikers Cafe, Cafe Coffee Day, On The Go, Cinnabon, Cheela Cafe, Cafe Connect, The Big Fat Sandwich, The Beer Cafe.
- Average Property Price: INR 35,684 per sq-ft.
10. Gulmohar Park
Gulmohar Park, located in a posh neighbourhood of South Delhi, is a top residential area in Delhi maintained by the Delhi Development Authority (DDA). This neighbourhood was founded by a group of journalists, and it is now one of the most peaceful places to live in the bustling city of Delhi. Some of the most well-known names in the Bollywood industry, including Amitabh Bachchan, as well as top journalists, business tycoons, and other notable individuals, own properties here.
- Best Restaurants: Parathe Wala, Purvi’s Kitchen Dakshin, Gulmohar Club, Chinese Yard, Bhatti Chicken Wings, La Cocina Restaurant, Souza Lobo, Annapurna Restaurant.
- Best cafes: Cafe 99, Mom’s Cake, Anna Cafe, The Orange Bakery, Singh’s Cafe, Chords and Coffee – The Music Store Café, Mokart Gautam Nagar, The cake venue
- Average Property Price: INR 25,593 per sq-ft.
11. Sundar Nagar
How could we overlook Sundar Nagar in this exclusive list of top posh areas in Delhi? Sundar Nagar, located in the heart of Delhi, is a high-yielding neighbourhood. This neighbourhood has excellent access to popular destinations such as the Old Fort, Zoological Park, Khan Market, Nizamuddin, and many others. Sundar Nagar’s local market attracts residents for its artsy and classy products because it is home to numerous handicraft stores and craft houses.
Sundar Nagar has large plot sizes and overlooks the beautiful zoological gardens, which is one of the many reasons why Delhi’s ultra-rich residents spend millions of dollars on homes in this coveted neighbourhood. If you buy a home in this affluent area of Delhi, your neighbours will mostly be industrialists and lawyers.
- Best Restaurants: Saz, The Burger Corp., Kamal’s, Number 8, Orange Peel By Rasleen Kocchar, Basil & Thyme, Masala House, Nathu’s Sweets.
- Best cafes: Cool Point Cafe, Bully Cafe, Cafe Lota.
- Average Property Price: INR 75,408 per sq-ft.
12. Hauz Khas
Hauz Khas is one of Delhi’s most opulent and popular posh neighbourhoods. The best thing about Hauz Khas is that it is well connected to most of Delhi’s popular areas. The neighbourhood primarily provides multistory and builder floor apartments of various sizes. It has some of the most luxurious and finest bungalows that are surrounded by greenery and scenic beauty. Hauz Khas has numerous shopping complexes, roadside markets, and hangout avenues, making it one of the best places for non-residents.
- Best Restaurants: Naivedyam, Hauz Khas Social, Smoke House Deli, Mia Bella, The Golconda Bowl, Yeti, The Himalayan Cuisine, Lama Kitchen, Rabbit Hole, Fork You Steak House & Burger Bar, Imperfecto, Maquina, Asia Kitchen, Hauz Khas Village, The Bunk House.
- Best cafes: Coast Cafe, Elma’s Bakery, Out of The Box, Amour – The Patio Restaurant Cafe & Bar, Moonshine Cafe & Bar, Woodchuck, Kunzum Travel Cafe
- Average Property Price: INR 23,125 per sq-ft.
13. Golf Links
Golf Links has long been considered one of Delhi’s most affluent neighbourhoods. It is situated in the heart of Lutyens Delhi, close to the Delhi Golf Course, from which it derives its name. It is one of the most expensive areas in the country, with some of the most luxurious real estate in Delhi.
- Best Restaurants: King Kabab Corner, Travertino – The Oberoi.
- Average Property Price: INR 130,205 per sq-ft.
14. Lutyens Bungalow Zone
The Lutyens Bungalow Zone in Lutyens Delhi is undeniably the most opulent area in the capital, and it is home to the city’s long list of politicians, industrialists, and well-known business tycoons. The neighbourhood was named after British architect Edwin Lutyens, who created the design with neatly laid out streets, lush green gardens, and a number of chic spots.
It is home to the majority of cross-country embassies, grand five-star hotels, and the buzzing Connaught Place market, the capital’s beating heart. This zone includes Prithvi Raj Road and Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Road, and the houses here are among the most expensive in the city, if not the country!
- Best Restaurants: Tian – Asian Cuisine Studio, The Pavilion, Orient Express, Ottimo at West View, Dum Pukht, MKT, Bukhara, Capital Kitchen, Sanadige Delhi, Lazeez Affaire, Masala Art, Spicy Duck, Golf Bar, Side Wok, The Potbelly, Fez Dining and Bar, Alkauser.
- Best cafes: Amour Bistro, abelle – The Chocolate Boutique @ ITC Maurya, Cafe C, The Salad Story, Viva O’ Viva, Diggin, NicoCaara, Starbucks, It’s9 Bakery Cafe, Too Mikkii Tapas, Tea Lounge, The Cafe, The House of Tea (THT) By Foodhall, Sancha Tea Boutique.
- Average Property Price: INR 115,125 per sq-ft.
15. Jangpura Extension
This established south Delhi neighbourhood, connected by the Jangpura Extn Metro station, boasts access to all lifestyle, healthcare, and leisure avenues and is frequented by tourists, locals, and expats.
- Best Restaurants: Barbeque Nation, Instapizza, Pinka’s Rasoi, Deez Biryani Corner Restaurant, The Kitchen, Kadimi Sweets, China Hut.
- Best cafes: Olio Bistro, Brosis, Hishi Cafe, D Streat Cafe, InnerChef, Chef Joint, Novelty Dairy & Stores.
- Average Property Price: INR 17,603 per sq-ft.
16. Kailash Colony
Another posh colony in Delhi is Kailash Colony. It is well connected to the rest of the NCR region via metro and other modes of transportation. Real estate prices can reach a whopping 85 crores. And we were naive (or just middle-class) enough to believe that its residents would take the metro.
- Best Restaurants: Radio Station, Fuego X, Your Hideout, Padmanabham, Idiots, Seemly Kitchen, Sanjha Chulha, Saleem’s Restaurant, Konfidential
- Best cafes: fatJar cafe & Market, Cafe 27, Uncultured Cafe & Bar, The Snook House Cafe, Binge, Creme N Crisp, The Snook Hook Cafe.
- Average Property Price: INR 25,597 per sq-ft.
So, here is a detailed list of the 16 top posh areas in Delhi to consider when relocating to the city. The peaceful environment, excellent infrastructure, metro connectivity, and cutting-edge facilities make these 16 posh residential areas in Delhi the most desirable places to live.